Powered By Blogger

1.06.2008

memoriam

So much to say

my friend…

Of what you have taught me,

in this life,

and what I will carry beyond your days.

You will always be B-I-G, BIG,

larger then life,

my friend,

in heart, in family, and especially in friendship.

You raised two fine sons

brothers to the end.

Men now in life

and now a grand-father to be!

You garnered my respect

not because of your size,

But because every man who met you

felt in your presence a warmth and love

which you emanated.

You took a couple of skinny white boys

taught them to be better fishermen;

Skilled them with a rifle and a square-knot,

led them into the wild

by foot and by sea.

Please know

that you inspired me to be a stronger man

pushed me beyond myself

and were a model of what it meant to be a father, husband, and friend.

I will think of you always,

when I set foot on a trailhead,

when I cast my line into the depths of lakes and seas,

when I fix my gaze on a target in the distance,

and when I attempt to heal one of your brethren of war;

You will be with me.

Thank you for

being BIG,

for helping this tenderfoot, this cub,

become an Eagle,

for helping this boy

become a man, a husband,

and a healer.

God now knows your warmth.

Knows your smile and the comfort

drawn from your spoken word.

And, for this, I am thankful.

It was my honor to have known you!

To carry you on in my heart and mind,

to have learned from your wisdom and experience.

For this, I am blessed!